Saturday, May 26, 2007

Over at the New Wave Outpost, there's been a thread going on devoted to NW (and "New Wave") instrumentals, which is something I've been thinking about for the past six months. After being wholly addicted to "Alles Klar" by Ultravox, then the Richard James Burgess/Rusty Egan instrumental "R.E.R.B.", under the Shock imprint (perhaps the mime troupe performed a routine to this song), then the Scars' one and only instrumental "Little Boy", I've been wondering what other instrumentals that one could file under the New Wave genre were out there, that I could really get into and fall in love with. I mean, I'm already very well familiar with Duran Duran's and Japan's instrumentals, and Arcadia's blissful extended remix of "Rose Arcana" remains in my mind the acme of instrumentals flying the banner of what we Americans would consider New Wave, but I've become very curious about what other similar instrumentals there were like the aforementioned. So the thread has become a wonderful little resource for me. Especially since it reminded me about "Sad Day" by Blancmange, which I feel very bad about forgetting.

OMG, and Pigbag, "Papa's Got A Brand New Pigbag".

And the two Visage instrumentals I can think of at the moment (again with the Rusty Egan) -- "Moon Over Moscow" and "Whispers". Especially "Whispers". Most definitely and especially "Whispers".

And "Astradyne" by Ultravox.

And the spookiest thing I have ever heard in my entire life, Depeche Mode's "Pimpf".

I think I'm going to have to make this into the newest playlist. All of these glorious, atmospheric instrumentals, without a hint of boring noodling about.

No comments: