Wednesday, April 4, 2007

First Blog Post: An Introduction

I've been bemoaning the dearth of blogs that come from my own personal perspective, i.e. that of a twentysomething with a real affection for the pop culture of the New Wave/general '80s scene, for a long time. It's driven me nearly insane. Either I find a blog about that pop cultural time period that comes from the perspective of someone who actually got to live it all and figures most people did too, or I find a blog from someone who was an adolescent during that time period who revels in reliving teenaged gigglefests full of squealiness and little else, or someone's writing about the '80s/New Wave scene from a self-aware, "ironic" perspective, or they're a teenager right now and are engaging in gigglefests full of squealiness and little else. Or I'll find sober discussions of pop culture, but directed at eras that don't fit my general aesthetic. Or I'll read a blog by someone my own age who is enthusiastic about what they love in an intellectual way, but what they love constitutes that which I have always felt I "must", but couldn't muster up enough interest in.

Well, no more; I will document every aspect of '80s/New Wave pop culture that I LOVE, from music to movies to fashion to TV. I will explain my adoration in as non-squealy a manner as possible. Sometimes I might indulge in "OMG HE'S SO HOTTT"-type discussions, but I will keep them to a minimum. That is my pledge to you, the reader. BTW, the title of the blog comes from the song "See Me Repeat Me", a great demo track by Duran Duran that evolved into a song that sucked: "Rio". I figure "we want to please you" is a good assessment of that which I will discuss in this blog, since those discussed elements of pop culture DID and DO please me. There you go. Discussion time over. Let's get on with the show.

No comments: