Wednesday, April 18, 2007

My '80s New Pop Playlist (04182007)

(Just an edit to clarify that now you can get to hear all the songs below on a special playlist page I just created. Yay me.)

I just finished lining up 20 songs, all of them (bar maybe one or two examples) released as singles sometime around the mid '80s, that exemplify what I would've played had I had control of a radio station and wanted to showcase some of the best of underrated '80s New Pop. The following is my list and some brief comments about them (I'll probably expand on many of them as this blog progresses):

1. Breathe, "Hands To Heaven": Oddly and heartbreakingly poignant and tender slow song. Beautifully rendered, delicate, with great vocals.
2. Johnny Hates Jazz, "Shattered Dreams": I am almost obsessed with this song. It is one of the most perfect examples of beautiful sophistipop. Remind me to write more about Johnny Hates Jazz sometime in the near future. I consider them HIGHLY underrated.
3. Boy Meets Girl, "Waiting For A Star To Fall": Fun little pop ditty. Assumes no pretensions, tries just to entertain the listener and succeeds.
4. Dan Hartman, "I Can Dream About You": Picks up a heart that has been downtrodden and lifts it up into the stratosphere. Just close your eyes and let the song do its work. Hartman, like fellow Philadelphian Daryl Hall, sang so soulfully.
5. The Parachute Club, "Rise Up": Very Up With People. Very hopeful and aspirational pop; fits somewhat in with the late '60s aesthetic, though without being fun-free.
6. Jesse Johnson & Stephanie Spruill, "Heart Too Hot To Hold": One of the most addictive dance pop songs ever recorded. You play it once and instantly want to play it again. Part of the glory that was The Breakfast Club's end credits.
7. Curiosity Killed The Cat, "Misfit": Andy Warhol championed them for a reason -- this song (again with an Up With People message of "like yourself the way you are") has hooks galore and is sophisticated to boot. The only decent thing Simon Cowell's ever been responsible for, and they came at the beginning of his career.
8. Bananarama, "The Wild Life": I can't believe this song wasn't their biggest hit. It is so intense and wonderful and the hooks build up atop each other and, and, and....
9. Benjamin Orr, "Stay The Night": Ah, God bless this late leader of The Cars for running with the New Pop meme after the smash success of "Drive". One of the Good Guys of American music; will definitely be missed.
10. Wang Chung, "Fire In The Twilight": Another Breakfast Club soundtrack listing. The video (no longer available on YouTube thanks to the Viacom fascists) was a lot of great fun, much like this song is.
11. Kajagoogoo, "Hang On Now": My favorite Kajagoogoo track. It is slow and sad and hopeful and filled with magic in both voice and instrumentation. If you liked Limahl's "The Neverending Story", chances are you love this song too.
12. King, "Love & Pride": Reaching a bit back into the archive to get this kitschy yet fun and tight (as tight as the jeans seen in the accompanying video) song.
13. Icehouse, "Electric Blue": The reason I got into Icehouse. I own the cassingle of this song and can't count the number of times I've played it. So sophisticated, so classy, so filled with pop hooks, and Iva Davies was so cute back then.
14. Alphaville, "Dance With Me": If you don't like this song, I don't know if I want to be friends with you. It is so full of hope and life and power and energy and exuberance and you can just feel Marian Gold's smile radiating outward to your ears that it is undeniable.
15. Howard Jones, "What Is Love?": A surprisingly touching and tender-hearted love song wrapped up in a cynical song title. I'm thinking I might want to save my thoughts about that for a future post.
16. a-ha, "The Living Daylights": My favorite Bond theme, besting even my beloved Duran Duran's "A View To A Kill". The reason? The song is less melodramatic -- indeed, it is understated for a Bond theme. Plus, I mean, it's a-ha; these guys are the pride of Norway for a reason.
17. Scritti Politti, "Perfect Way": Aw yeah, the masters of mid '80s New Pop with their biggest hit. A well-deserved chart smash. And the video -- oh, be still my adolescent heart! As a teen, I wanted to find the "perfect way" to win the beautiful Green Gartside's affections; now, I rejoice as he finally marries that girl who made HIM "go crazy".
18. Industry, "State Of The Nation": One of the few American music groups that actually got the '80s RIGHT, once they got little Jon Carin in (he was only 20 when this song was released). Another song I'm almost obsessed with.
19. Comsat Angels, "I'm Falling": Post-punk stalwarts, a la Scritti Politti, who got into New Pop by the mid '80s and mastered it. Slightly reggae-flavored, this song showcases a real sense of yearning. It was ballyhooed by the CSA fanbase but deserves to be re-evaluated NOW.
20. Naked Eyes, "Promises, Promises": Showcases everything I love about Tony Mansfield's spookily atmospheric synth production, along with being a good argument for why Pete Byrne and Rob Fisher were considered the Bacharach/David of '80s New Pop. (Disclaimer: This would be the U.S. version of this song, which I naturally prefer to the U.K. version, though the latter version is good in an exotic sort of way.)

Wow, this was fun. I should do more of these.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I so looove "Shattered dreams"!!! I had the cassette and love many of the songs there! I need to get that on cd!
*sings another song* I wish that I could turn back the clock...

And I also love "Misfit". My sis and I sang that one a lot.
I like how the singer wore that cap *g*

Glad to see a-ha there in the list. I love the band. It's so much better than many people think.

Anonymous said...

I see what you meant in the message you sent me!
I think it's a good idea!
Wow, it seems like years since I've listened to Misfit for instance
Thanks!
:)