Saturday, April 28, 2007

Immediate Reaction: Hubert Kah, "The Picture"

GAH.

First off, my terrible insomnia problem strikes yet again. After spending nearly an hour trying to fall asleep, I took out my iPod and picked a random song to listen to. Having loaded up the RetroActive 5 compilation because of its Seona Dancing, Strange Advance, Blancmange, and Psychedelic Furs remix components, I was surprised to find my iPod start to play one of the songs off the compilation I had never heard before: "The Picture" by Hubert Kah. I had never even heard of Hubert Kah before, but it sounded European so I figured, eh, it should be good for a trial.

This is one of those kinds of songs I obsess over. It happens every now and again -- one of the more recent and memorable occasions happened when I latched so strongly onto "Alles Klar" by Ultravox that I could not get enough of it, even after playing it some 25 times in a row on two separate occasions, in as many days. I committed myself to learning every nuance, every corner, ever nook and cranny of that wonderful, haunting instrumental. Eventually I got my fill, but not without playing it some 100 times in a one-week span. "The Picture" has that very quality.

First off, I will admit to having my weak points. Icy cold synth lines? Check. Minimalist bass sound? Check. Delicate yet highly urgent staccato rhythm that evokes a sort of Italo disco influence/sound? Check. Very Continental European breathy synth-dance male vocals? Check. "The Picture" has all of the above. "The Picture" evokes nearly all of my weaknesses. It even makes good use of a church bell sound effect that also evokes a cold Europeanness to the track's overall atmosphere, that makes it even that much more appealing to me. Even the rock guitar solo toward the middle of the song, something I don't generally go for, has a sort of detached passivity in its very being that makes it not so much a macho act but rather something that helps drive the song along.

I was roused enough by this song to jump out of bed and do a quick Google search for more information, where I found my European suspicious confirmed. Hubert Kah were apparently a German synth group that existed as recently as the late '90s, though I didn't really check too close to see when their latest recordings were released. The band released the original track from whence "The Picture" sprung forth, "Wenn Der Mond Die Sonne", in 1984, and I imagine "The Picture" was released not long after that. And -- oh, the shame -- it (the English-language version of the song) even appeared on the soundtrack of the critically-panned (for good reason, I've been reliably told) mid '80s flick Once Bitten. What is it with crap mid '80s movies and great songs therein? No one can honestly say that the Rodney Dangerfield vehicle Back To School was good even as a "so bad it's brilliant" type movie, yet its soundtrack featured the utterly breathtakingly great "Dead Man's Party" by Oingo Boingo.

As of yet I still really don't know all that much about Hubert Kah except that the band members were German, their producer and "arranger" (don't know what exactly that means) was from Bucharest, Romania (yay Romanians!), they wrote songs for other people, presumably German pop stars, and the great majority of their output was written in German, as befit their target demographic and largest audience. Unlike their fellow Germans in Alphaville, they apparently either had no real designs for the international, English-speaking marketplace, or their music (this would be sad if it were true) didn't take off and they ended up retreating back to their German roots.

Oh well then. The damage has been done. I am swooningly in love with YET ANOTHER SONG and I will have to play this song at least 100 times this week before I get my fill, I'm sure. And now I know I can't sleep. I have to listen to this song some more. It's gripping me so very tightly and pulling me away from my slumber and into its hypnotic vortex. This is how it all gets started, people.

Edit: OH MY GOD this track features the LINN DRUM. THE LINN DRUM, people, the synth drum that delivered that oh-so-'80s percussion sound that I ADORE. And the rhythm isn't so much staccato-ish on the surface as it is, um, restrained. But there IS a rhythmic synth sound that lays sorta in the background that IS staccato-ish, that does provide the track with some of its danceable drive and energy. But -- THE LINN DRUM! I wonder now if the synths on this track are Fairlights. They could be. OMG what if they are?? Especially if the synths were Fairlight CMIs. Then I'd know for sure it was destiny that I fell in love with this track. Either that or that I was awfully predictable. Heh.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so freaking glad to find someone else who understands this fixation I've recently been experiencing. specifically with the songs Wenn Der Mond Die Sonne Berurt, Sternenhimmel, Rosemarie, Einmal Nur Mit Erika and from the later Michael Cretu stuff Welcome Machine Gun.

I stumbled upon Hubert Kah on youtube, there's alot of videos there that span about a 10 year period.

as for that producer, he only produced 3 of the albulms. you probably have heard of him His name is Michael Cretu, he and his wife are Enigma.

I'm 53Aubergine on youtube, feel free to drop me a message.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention. There's another CD due out next spring. The last one in 2005 only had Kemmler (the singer) on it. His voice has changed, and at that time it sounds like he was still trying to get used to the c hange.

Anonymous said...

Aubergine said it perfectly.
There is no question "The Picture" is Hubert Kah's best song, the layered elements, as you described, manifest shivers, sadness, happiness all at the same time. I urge you to check out also their 1984 album, Golden Zeiten (The golden age). Includes many rare tracks like Solo Tu, Angel 07, Golden Zeiten. The album was produced by Michael Cretu. BTW check out Michael Cretu's solo albums from 1983 and 1985. Other great songs from Hubert: Limousine, Midnight Sun, It's Me Cathy. Kah had a fantastic vocal album in English, in 1997, entitled Hubert Kah.

It's sucks that many quality german projects will get overlooked because of some cheesy 80s disco band.

If you need any help finding the above mentioned tracks, i can help out, my youtube username is vortons.

Werner Früh said...

More about Hubert Kemmler named Hubert Kah on my blog

http://betzingen.blogspot.com/2009/06/hubert-kah-der-enkel-von-julius-kemmler_19.html

Anonymous said...

I too, have been OBSESSED by this incredible song 'The Picture'. For well over a year now, I have not had any success finding the English version of the song on CD, or downloadable for my iTOUCH. Could anyone here PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE e-mail me at EllinasOhio@aol.com, and tell me where I can find this phenomenal song? Thanks!

Jef said...

I first experienced Hubert Kah when the local music video show in Dallas/Fort Worth played the video for "Angel 07," which was featured in the movie GOTCHA.

In 1990, a friend in college played the 12" for "Machine Gun" for me, which is one of my favorite Hubert Kah songs. It was included on SOUND OF MY HEART and the BEST OF DANCE HITS, which were both released on Curb Records in the U.S. Oddly enough, it's a Country & Western label. "So Many People" and "Cathy (Follow Your Heart)" were also released as singles in the U.S. "The Picture" was used as a B-side for "Cathy (Follow Your Heart)," which has the 12" version that is featured on the RetroActive 5 compilation. I also have a similar remix of "The Picture" on an Art of Mix compilation. I love the lyrics and the production on this song.

Anonymous said...

Also worth mentioning that if you are willing to go just a tad more into the cheese, some early Michael Cretu songs like "samurai" are worth a listen, as well as his Sandra, his wife's solo project (ex-Arabesque). It definitely has the same vibe, very pre-Enigma.

I became familiar with Sandra, in the 80s because she was huge with the Vietnamese population in the U.S.
Great tracks by Sandra include "you'll be mine," "hey little girl," and "maria magdelena." Later club oriented hits include "heaven can wait," and "secret land."

Unknown said...

http://baiaboyisback.blogspot.fr/2014/10/hubert-kah-picture-12-remix-francois-k.html